Monday, October 19, 2015

Nova Scotia Holiday Part II: Lunenberg and Mahone Bay


 Even though it has been almost one month since we returned from our adventure in the Maritime provinces of Canada, I am trying to take this broadside's advice!

Since I've not sailed much, I have no idea how captains "work" except to give orders.  I think I could do that.  Of course they have minions, gobs, jacks, salts, sea dogs, seafarers, swabs, and swabbies I think even pirate captains have them.  I'm focusing on working AND playing more and harder.

Saturday dawned bright and clear and cool.  Below is the view of Lunenburg from across the bay, near our motel. It is a UNESCO site; which among other things means it is really cute and picturesque.  The ten official criteria can be found HERE.









 


 We explored some of the residential areas, examined the Lunenburg Art Gallery map,  and then explored Lincoln Street seemed to have the highest density of art galleries, shops and studios.








The Quartet Gallery was bright, the gallery sitter was friendly, and there was lots to like.  I could easily imagine putting my paintings in a similar gallery!



Across the street was the Peer Gallery.  I had the good fortune to be there the day that Barbara McClean was sitting at the desk.  She indicated that the Peers' artists actually had art degrees rather than being (more or less) self taught. I think they take themselves more seriously than the Quartet Gallery (and prices reflected that); but as always, one's taste in art is highly subjective!
The late arrival of an almost life-sized elephant at an import store was an unexpected photographic opportunity!



 That the colors were inspiring, bright and uplifting is something I was reminded of at least a thousand times.

And then I came to the gallery/studio of Laurie Swim.  Although I was not familiar with her work, she is apparently well known in artistic quilting circles.  Her works were exquisite, creative, and clearly works of art--- not "just" craft.  Below is one of her early works, Eve's Apple Revisited.

I think her pieces have been published in many articles and books.  Talk about Working like a Captain... She has a website AND is on Facebook.  
I doubt that many individuals can afford to buy her works, but banks, towns and museums have done so.  She has beautifully photographed prints of many of her works which came in a variety of sizes and were more affordable.




There was a store called Dots and Loops that had an abundance of local and/or handmade items.

There may have been other shops not on the map.  It was overwhelming!




I thought the rocks with bills, bows and duck feet were funny.  I'd probably make mine into sheep.



 St. John's Anglican Church was extremely distinctive.  We didn't go inside or attend services.  I'm wondering if "Anglican" churches in Canada are the progressives (like Episcopal churches in the US), or whether they are like the conservative parishes in the US which call themselves Anglican.  Episcopal churches have a history of many and varied schisms!

An interesting building on the top of the hill is the Lunenburg Academy, built in the 1800's.  Currently it is the home to the Lunenburg Academy of Musical Performance. Next time we visit, I want to hear some concerts!


Does your town still have any buildings from the EARLY 1800's? 




When we were sated with Lunenburg art and architecture (and our feet were aching),  we headed inland (we thought) and ended up in another charming town called Mahone Bay.

The Gazebo Cafe and Grill looked promising AND had its own parking lot.  We ate on the deck at the back and enjoyed the food, the friendly couple at the next table, AND the view.  I notice that the Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews vary tremendously.  I suspect that service may be frazzled at peak season.  Our visit on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend found us in the company of Halifax day-trippers, but not trampled by hordes of international tourists. My sense is that the chef/owner cares as much about the quality of HIS life as the quality of the restaurant.  Can't blame him.

 



 And THEN, DH said I could visit the yarn store that we just happened to find.  (I'd found it via a web search, but not knowing the territory, didn't realize I'd actually be able to pet the yarn!
 
 


 There was SO much variety!  Any so many yarns that I had never heard of... at almost every price point.

I discovered several yarn shops that carried yarn by "Fleece Artist" who seems to both spin and dye her own yarn.  (There is a fleece processor on Prince Edward Island that is known for processing one fleece at a time... so you can know that your yarn came from Daisy or Suzie.)
 Murrina by Estelle is a blend of Merino Wool, Acrylic and Viscose.  I'm a sucker for novelty yarns when they are still in their little yarn cakes!
 I'm thinking of doing more Fair Isle Knitting.  This time WITH a steek!


Isn't the Handspun (below) amazing?


 Sea Silk is a newish yarn with a blend of silk and fiber from seaweed.  Both fibers are renewable, which I think is a good thing.  Oh, and they feel, um, silky!




  I do believe the yarn above is a combination of Merino and "brush tail possum."  Apparently New Zealand has nearly been over-run by non-native possums and only in the past decade or two have they figured how to spin it.  It's been used by high fashion houses in Paris, and is now on the market for weavers and knitters.  If they can make fancy (and expensive yarn from Mink, musk ox (Quivit) and their cousins, I guess possum would be OK, too.   Probably not my first thought-- but then I thought it was strange when, as a child, I met a woman who saved the clippings from her poodle and had them spun into yarn.

Stay tuned for Peggy's Cove and Halifax.






No comments: